Rules Of The Game
1. The cards shall be the ordinary pack of fifty-two cards.
2. The players, after being seated, shall each draw a card from the pack,
face downwards, and the player drawing the card lowest in value (ace being
lowest), shall deal in the first game. If two or more players draw cards
of equal value, such cards being the lowest, such players only shall draw
again for the deal.
3. Any player may demand to shuffle the cards, but the dealer shall have
a right to the last shuffle before the cards are cut.
4. The pack shall be shuffled by the dealer, and cut by the player on
the right of the dealer, before every deal.
5. The cards shall be shuffled, face downwards, above the table.
6. The cards shall be dealt, face downwards, so that their faces cannot
be seen; and they must be placed by the dealer on the table in front of
the players to whom they are severally dealt.
7. The dealer shall give one card from the top of the pack to each player
in turn from right to left, beginning with the player at his left hand,
and in this order shall give to each player five cards.
8. If the cards be dealt without the pack having been cut, and if the fact
be pointed out to the dealer before the deal is finished, it is a misdeal,
and there shall be a new deal by the same dealer.
9. If the fact that the cards have been dealt without the pack having
been cut for such deal be not pointed out to the dealer before such deal
is finished, the deal shall stand.
10. If a card be found face upwards in the pack before the deal is
finished, it is a misdeal, and there shall be a new deal by the same
11. If the dealer, while dealing, accidentally expose a card, such card
shall be accepted by the player to whom it is dealt, as though it had not
been exposed, and the dealer shall not, nor shall any player, exchange
such exposed card for another, except in the regular course of discarding
after the deal is completed.
12. If any player have more or less than five cards dealt to him,
and if such player, or any player, announce the fact before the cards
are raised from the table, it is a misdeal, and there shall be a new
deal by the same dealer.
13. If any player have more or less than five cards dealt to him, and if
the fact be not announced before any portion of the hand is raised from the
table, such hand is a foul hand, and the player to whom it is dealt shall
place his cards, face downwards, on the table, and retire from the game,
and shall forfeit his stake in that game.
14. If a player be compelled to retire from the game in consequence of
having a foul hand dealt to him, his stake, if he has staked, shall
remain in the pool, and the dealer shall refund such player the amount of
his ante or straddle only in that game.
15. No player shall speak to the dealer while the cards are being dealt..
16. If any player speak to the dealer, or distract him by noise or
gesture, while the cards are being dealt, such player, and not the
dealer, shall refund, as provided by Rule 14, the ante or straddle of
any player to whom a foul hand is dealt in that deal.
17. The deal shall be finished when every player has received five cards.
18. The duty of dealing shall devolve upon each player in turn,
from right to left; the player to the left of the last dealer shall be
the dealer in the next game. If the dealer in a game pass and retire,
he shall continue his duty as dealer in that game.
19. The ante shall not exceed one-half the amount of the limit.
20. The ante shall be staked by the player to the left of the dealer
before the cards are dealt.
21. The right to straddle shall belong to the player to the left of ante.
If he does not straddle, no other player shall, do so; but if he does
straddle, the succeeding players shall have, in turn from right to left,
and ending with the dealer, the right to increase the straddle in every
case by the amount of the ante.
22. The ante shall not be straddled by a player, or by successive players,
to an amount exceeding one-half the limit.
23. If the ante be not straddled, the player to the left of ante
shall have first say after the deal, and ante shall have the last say.
24. If the ante be straddled, the player to the left of the straddler
(or of the last straddler, if there be more than one) shall have first
say after the deal, and the last straddler shall have the last say.
Next: The Play
Previous: Hints To Players